Saturday 24 August 2013

Roll your own - simple workshop pleasures






I needed a bracket to hold up one end of the high-level exhaust on the Moto Guzzi Stornello Scrambler 160 project I've been working on for, well, months. The thing is about Italian motorcycles, especially these small Guzzi singles, and in particular the Scrambler models, you don't, or more accurately can't,  just buy the parts off the shelf. In contrast in the UK there's a huge industry that caters for the needs of Brit Iron owners - parts are remade and can easily found and ordered online, arriving next day.

Because these smaller Italian-manufactured machines were pretty much disregarded by the Italians themselves until reasonably recently, there isn't a comprehensive spares service or parts remanufacture like there is for say big Guzzis or bevel Ducatis. It's a case of trawling Ebay and the small ads websites for sometimes months, hoping the desired bits may turn up.

I haven't got months, and anyway it's August, and Italy is closed for business. So, hacksaw and file in hand, I made the required bracket myself. Much as I'd like to, I don't have access to lathes or metalworking equipment, but for a bracket, you don't need much. A bit of patience and a steady hand -  I was always pretty good at making Airfix Stuka kits when I was a kid. Forty minutes later it was done and on the bike.

Satisfaction guaranteed and problem sorted.

No comments: