Friday 1 April 2011

Goodbye my friend it's time to go..


Us 'creative' types love Macs and I've used them for for over twenty years now. This G4 I had the longest, and it did me proud for 11 years. It lived through the scorching heat of Italy, its little fans fanning for all they were worth. It allowed me to put up my first website in the days before blogs, broadband, Facebook or Twitter, and send and receive good old 56k modem emails. It's been superseded twice now, by another G4 that quickly gave me problems and I sold it on,  and now I have a beautiful Rolls-Royce of a Mac with 27 inch screen and 1TB hard drive that is the most important tool in my life, and I adore it.

The poor G4 has sat under my desk for a couple of years, redundant, the memory tiny, and the hard drive useless. I even tried to recycle it but no one wanted it, and it's worth 20 pence on Ebay. So I ripped the hard drives out (I felt like I was ripping it's heart out while it was still beating..) and I took the poor G4 to the tip this morning, with almost (but not quite) a tear in my eye...

1 comment:

ian said...

Noooo! Lovely computers those are (were), and real icons too. To bad Apple is the only one paying proper attention to hardware design. This must have hurt Adam...